Monday 15 July 2013

Don't Look At Me

This weeks question from Dani and Jackie's Express Yourself blog-hop is ...

What is the biggest challenge you face socially?

I have quite a few social anxieties.  My main one is having people look at me.  I've always been tall.  I'm 5'11", which I know isn't abnormally tall, but when you're 7 years old and you're at least 6" taller than the rest of your friends, it can feel like you're a bit of a freak.  

It wasn't until I was at high school when the boys started getting their growth spurts, and finally I wasn't the tallest person in my school year.  However, I've still not felt comfortable with my height, and I tend to stoop quite a bit.  My Pilates teacher doesn't approve of the stoop, and I do manage to stand up straight in her classes, but when I get back into the real world, by spine starts to bend so that I can hide away from staring eyes.

I'm slowly coming to terms with it.  It's not something I can change so I just have to get used to.  I just get a bit paranoid that people are looking at me.  I'm quite happy to hide in the background but my height hasn't allowed me to do that.  Perhaps I should just embrace my height and stop hiding!

http://osbertabumere.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/meet-worlds-tallest-teenage-girl.html

2 comments:

  1. I actually have the exact opposite problem.. I'm a shortie lol. I must admit though, I always feel taller people have to have way more confidence than short people, people just find tall people more intriguing, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people I know wish they were taller, if that makes you feel any better! :)

    ReplyDelete