Wednesday 1 May 2013

LLBG - April

Last night, Lowestoft Library Book Group met to discuss The Crimson Rooms by Katharine McMahon.  Everyone had read the book and everyone liked it.  Shock.  We haven't had a book that everyone liked since, well, I can't remember.  We usually all agree that we didn't like a book, but actually liking one.  Well, that's a new concept for us!

I was surprised that I liked this one, as it's set in 1925 and I tend to be drawn to things set in my own lifetime.  However, this story contained loads of lovely, interesting elements, such as murder, mystery, suspense, feminism, court room scenes, accusations of rape, child deportation, and romance.  It was a fairly fast paced read, with no 'boring' sections.  I did get a bit confused about who committed the murder and why, but that might just have been me not paying attention!

Although it was an enjoyable read, and it kept you wanting more, I did find that it was a bit "bitty", in as much as all of the elements could have made their own complete stories,  rather than being intertwined in this longer story.  But then I guess that added to the mystery.  Thumbs up from me.

This month we are reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  We will be meeting at Lowestoft Library, at 7pm, Tuesday 28th May.

No comments:

Post a Comment