Saturday 25 May 2013

Do It Like A Brothah, Do It Like A Dude

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, I mean, just keep Blogging Every Day In May.

Day 25, Saturday: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad)

I've kind of put this one off because I don't really like thinking about it.  Now, before I start this post I need to make it clear that I'm not a (particularly) vain person.  I've never been a girl interested in hair products and make-up.  My mum taught me from a young age to know that "me" isn't what I look like; "me" is who I am on the inside.  And as I've grown up, I've spent time working on my character and personality to ensure that I'm a nice person, rather than ensuring that I'm a nice-looking person by focussing on my appearance.  I remember girls at school whose bags were full of cosmetics and they would spend their lunchtimes in the toilets, staring at themselves in the mirror, whereas my bag was full of books and I would spend my lunchtimes in the library.

Anyway, as we all know, puberty is a tough time.  Our bodies are changing and we're trying to work out who we are, plus we have so many pressures at school with exams.  It's surprising that our heads don't explode!

So, to the point of this post (and I am struggling to let the words out), at school a lot of people told me that I looked like a boy.  This might not seem like a big deal to some people, but it really knocked my confidence (not that I had much to start with).  When you're having to deal with erratic hormones and growing pains, you don't really need people telling you that you don't look like what you should look like.

Back to my point about not being vain.  Obviously I keep myself clean and I wear clothes that I like, but I don't let my appearance define me.  So the fact that people were negative about how I looked shouldn't bother me.  But it was hurtful and something I've never forgotten, I guess because it all came at a confusing time of life.  To be honest, I would rather have them tell me that I was an ugly girl, than to say that I looked like a boy.  


However, I would be quite happy to look like a boy Beyonce!

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post to read. I know what you mean when it comes to cosmetic cases filled with makeup in their bags. This wasn't me either and still isn't me. I do have makeup, however I chose not to wear any. I will here and there but very minimal. I like people seeing me for who I am not what enhanced features I have done to myself. When it comes to being ugly I have had the experience where I was in cosmetology class and girls were standing in front of the mirror doing their makeup. Okay, fine whatever cool that's what you wanted to do, but that wasn't me. I came to learn and I remember one girl say "I'm just trying to make you look pretty" Thanks for saying or thinking I am ugly. My looks don't define the person on the inside of me and I rather be seen for what I have inside then what my features portray on the outside. The inside is what inspires people. Thank You for leaving me a comment and thought I should share my story with you! =)

    ReplyDelete