Tuesday 1 January 2013

Writer - David Cundall

I'd like to welcome you to my interview with writer, David Cundall.  Enjoy.

David Cundall

Hello David.  Can you please introduce yourself?
I am David Cundall and I’m based in Leeds.
How long have you been writing?
About five years.
What first got you interested in writing?
I have always enjoyed reading, I knew I could write and had reached a stage in life where I could, in theory at least, make time to do so. Writing is, for me, an enjoyable recreation. 
Do you attend a writing group?
I started attending Leeds Writers Circle about four years ago.
Why do you attend a writing group?
It's fun. 
What is the most valuable thing you have taken away from your writing group?
Increased confidence in my own ‘voice’. 
What genre(s) do you write?
I write, mostly, fiction that is based in the present day. I don’t write in any particular genre. 
Are there any genres that you don't enjoy writing?
Historical (too much research needed), Crime, Romantic, Science Fiction, Erotica all have their own challenges – I won’t bother to go into details.
What types of things do you write?
I’m enjoying writing my first novel. I have also written a children’s book, short stories, plays and poetry and non-fiction. 
Have you ever had anything published?
A couple of pieces in the Leeds Writers Circle Anthology, which isn’t the same as being published in my own right. I would like to be published. 
Have you sent your writing to agents/publishers?
My children’s book went to an agent and was rejected after a re-write. 
Would you consider self-publishing/e-publishing?
I much prefer books made of paper. I would not rule out going into e-publishing. I do not like the idea of self-publishing but would not rule it out completely. 
Who/what influences your writing?  Where do you get your inspiration from?
Human experience – I used to work as a doctor, and have also lived in Africa, so have plenty of insight into other people’s lives.
How do you come up with your characters' names and personalities?
Names are usually difficult – personalities emerge, often as a distillation of a number of characters I have met. 
Do you have a writing routine?
I don’t have a routine yet. My New year’s resolution (to write on Mondays) has not been kept. I don’t make enough time to write. I prefer mornings.
Do you start out with a complete idea for your stories, or do you just start writing and hope for the best?
I work out the plot before I start, sometimes the characters change it. 
Do you have an editing process?  Do you have someone else read over your work.  Do you read your work aloud to yourself in front of the mirror?
Not really. Yes. No.
What do you enjoy the most/least about writing?
It is a form of escape. 
What is the best piece of writing advice you've been given?
Show not tell.
What advice could you give to a new writer?
Don’t give up. 
How important is it for you to share your writing?
Very.
Have you ever entered any writing competitions?
Yes. I’ve won a couple of short story competitions. 
Have you ever attended an open mic event for spoken word performers?
Yes – as a performer I don’t much enjoy it – as an observer it is very good when done well. I’m not eager to perform my work. 
What types of things do you read?  Do you think your writing reflects your book tastes?
Mainly current ‘literary’ fiction, travel writing. Yes. 
What are you working on at the moment?
A novel.
Apart from writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?
Walking. 
Thanks David.

No comments:

Post a Comment